Thursday, September 11, 2008

Googling the Rule


McDowell News
Christians long ago called that idea "The Golden Rule." Jesus Himself put it succinctly when He said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The idea is that if you think it's wrong for people to try to kill you because they fear something you might someday take a notion to do, then it is also wrong for you to go on a paranoid killing spree against them.

Seems kind of basic, but the idea is entirely outdated.
Read the rest...

The Daily Dispatch
Later, Obama told Newsweek “It is a precept of my Christian faith that my redemption comes through Christ, but I am also a big believer in the Golden Rule, which I think is an essential pillar not only of my faith but of my values and my ideals and my experience here on Earth.
Read the rest...

The Baptist Standard
However, their views seemed to change when asked to consider torture policy in light of the Golden Rule. When respondents were asked if the United States should “never use methods against our enemies that we would not want used on American soldiers,” more than half agreed.
Read the rest...

Media Monitors Network
A morality predicated upon spiritual realities has at its center the ethic of reciprocity, perhaps most helpfully articulated for Western audiences by Jesus himself who said, according to some records, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” and according to others, “You must not forget the great law of human fairness which I have taught you in positive form: Whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do even so to them.”
Read the rest...

No comments: